Which is riskier?
I was walking alone... at night... (You might think: WHAT DA HELL are you doing walking alone at night?) Well, I watched a movie and when it was finished, we went our seperate ways. I had 2 choices.
1. Walk along main road, stumble pass drunks, vomit, wee etc (longer route)
2. Take short cut, not so well lit only in certain areas, quiet (half of route 1)
2. Take short cut, not so well lit only in certain areas, quiet (half of route 1)
I understand both routes are not without its risks, but which is riskier? In theory, if you cut down the time in which one is exposed to risks, then the risk is decreased by 50%. Although the time exposed to risks had been reduced, it is without a doubt that it is still very risky given those circumstances (quiet and not well lit).
So I ask myself, which is riskier? Should I stick with long route or go with short route? (Kind of an analogy for life, eh?) Does one spread out its risk and take a longer time to succeed? Or take high risks and chance it? [I can so hear my mother go 'OF COURSE BE SAFE YOU IDIOT'] But who's to say which is safer?


13 Comments:
I would go the shorter route but that's because I seem to have 'no fear' of quiet, dark places. I always figure that I can walk quietly and slip amongst the shadows and no one will see me. Yes, it may be scarier, but chances are, someone on the 'main street' will accidentally hurt you more easily than something happening on a quiet street!
nic: (I'm nodding furiously) it scares me how much we think alike sometimes! I totally agree (but there's a bug at the back of my mind...)
if u take it literally, i will take the longer path =D normally police will be near the pubs =D hahha ...
Jason: Hey! Long long time no hear from you! I see there's already a conflict on opinion. what if it was an analogy for all things in life? Wud ur choice still be the same?
you can take the shorter route and arm yourself against the risks involve!
short route cos get home faster and hopefully there's no one cos there's usually no one.... right?!?!??!
~Adeline~
anon: You're classed under my 68% conscience, coz that's what the majority poll is showing. What about the risks? what should one do about that?
Adeline: See, that's what I thought as well! Thus this post. But am I being irresponsible by thinking this way?
actually the risks involve are the same .. it is only how you look at it and walk the path =D as long as u get there .. it is ok already =D Thats what i think ..
Well... the long rowdy route prolly higher risk i'm exposing myself to rowdy ppl. the quiet route i might never meet any 'humans' and i would like to think that if i did meet a human, that human will think i'm a crazy murderer so i'm pretty much safe eh
Hmmm, don't young ladies usually carry those sprayie things to burn people's eyes? lol ^^
jason: Given the same situation, what wud u advice ur daughter?
Adeline: u and I are similar in the head. That's why we get together and do crazy things! I wonder if that means u'd be a very risky person, metaphorically...
Eddie: Sprayie things are banned in the UK. If I cud have it my way, I'd carry lethal weapons! (however, there's always the danger of thos weapons turned against myself...)
hmm .. i think they are both equally dangerous .. instinctively i will go for the shorter one ...
Post a Comment
<< Home