Chicken Karahi
Today, I'm gonna pass on a recipe a good friend taught me (Thank you Naeem). This recipe has been on my fridge for a while now and I thought I'd share it with you. Absolutely love this dish. Hope you'll like it too. (Nic, this one's for the good old times)

Chicken Karahi
- Heat 1/2 cup of oil
- Add cinnamon (x2) & cardimon (x3)
- Add chicken (approx. 1kg)
- Fry for 8-10 mins
- Add cumin powder (1/2 tbs) & tumeric powder (1/4 tbs)
- Add tinned tomatoes (1 1/2 cans) and some fresh tomatoes
- Mix & stir for 5 mins
- Add garlic & ginger paste (1/2 tbs)
- Mix & stir for 3 mins
- Add red chilli powder (2 tbs) & salt (1 tbs)
- Mix & stir for 5 mins
- Put lid on & simmer on low heat for 5 mins
- Add fresh green chilli (x7)
- Mix & stir for 5 mins (low heat)
- Add garam masala (1/2 tbs) & fresh corriander before serving
ps: Key to this dish is patience. Enjoy!


4 Comments:
Hi there,
Is this an Indian dish? Sound to me, it is ;-)....well,if back to those time when you and me being flatmetes, I would be eating your Chicken Karahi by now! wow,It was simple, and lovely time....haha, here you go, try this 'Butter-Chicken-'de-la-Della, hope you enjoy!
Ingredients
Chicken - 300 grams, cleaned and cut into small pieces
Cinnamon- 2" pcs
Salt - to taste
Cashew & almond paste - a handful ground smoothly
Ginger & garlic paste - 2 tspns
Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
Chilly powder - 2 tsp
Coriander powder- 1 tspn
Onion - one chopped
Orange colour - 1 1/2 tsp
Butter - 3 tspn
Oil - 2 tspn
Tomato puree - 2 tomatoes blended smoothly
Directions
• Fry onions in oil till transparent.
• Add cinnamon and let it fry.
• Then add ginger & garlic paste along with a little water.
• Stir continuously.
• Add turmeric, chilly, coriander powder with salt and mix well.
• Pour in tomato puree, cashew & almond paste - mix well with water.
• When it starts to boil add the chicken which should be mixed with a little colour.
• Then add sufficient water for the chicken to boil.
• The gravy should get thick or according to your requirement. Before switching off add butter and serve hot with parathas.
Big SIS: HEY!!! Thank you SOOO MUCH for the recipe! I'll be sure to try it this sunday =)
Mmmm... I can smell it from here! (Or maybe that's just my wistful imagination....)
I miss good curry!
Eemin,
Thanks for reminding me... The last time when I made chicken karahi was perhaps 18 months ago..
Thinking how much has changed since then.. Not changed is just your attitude of living in today...
God bless u
Naeem
Post a Comment
<< Home