Sunday, August 13, 2006

Slang

The first ever greeting I got when I arrived in the UK was
Stranger: Alright, luv?

Me: Yeah? Why? Is there something on my face? (whilst thinking 'why is this weird stranger calling me love? Who IS he?')
It turns out that instead of a simple 'how are you', the Brits have evolved to just 'alright!' After so many years, I still haven't come up with a good enough answer for that. Do you say 'yeah! you?'... or 'how are you' because you don't mean it... 'hey' coz that's just not a word.. and I refuse to bow down to 'alright' simply because I don't like it :-)

It then got me to think of all the vocabs I've grown accustomed to that might not necessarily be seen as normal in my own country. Below are a list:
  1. Arsey - moody
  2. Bullocks - bullshit/ nonsense
  3. Bang on - right on
  4. Brolly - umbrella
  5. Bat for the other team - gay
  6. Baps - boobies
  7. Chatting shit - talking crap
  8. Chav - persons with bad taste in clothes (usually associated with Burberry)
  9. Chin-wag - talking/ chatting
  10. Chuffed - happy
  11. Daft - silly
  12. Effing - f*cking
  13. Evils - hateful look
  14. Eyes like piss holes in the snow - small eyes/ tired eyes
  15. Face like back end of a bus - ugly
  16. Faffer - person who fusses a lot
  17. Git - an idiot
  18. Go for a mosey - shopping
  19. Gob - mouth
  20. Hole in the wall - ATM
  21. Hit the sack - go to bed
  22. Iffy - uncertain
  23. Knackered/ cream crackered - very tired
  24. Leg it - walking
  25. Maccy D's - McDonalds
  26. Mint - good/new/great
  27. Miff - not happy
  28. Minger - someone ugly
  29. Nick - steal
  30. Pissed - angry/drunk/make fun of/ pee (depending on how you use it)
  31. Quid - pound(s)
  32. Shitting bricks - very scared
  33. Sickie - to call in sick
  34. Skint - very poor
  35. Sod off - go away
  36. Ta-ra - bye bye
  37. Tart - hooker
  38. Thingy-ma-bob/ Thingy-ma-jig - (word filler)
  39. Trump - fart
  40. Waffle - talk nonsense
  41. Welly - to give a hard kick
  42. Wing it - throw away
  43. Wonky - unstable

If you understand all of it, WELL DONE! You're Britonised. Let's see if one can make a long sentence out of a couple of those vocabs...

I was already iffy about legging it to Maccy D's. I was served by an arsey tart who gave me the effing evils. I then had a chin-wag with the manager who waffled and did a silent trump before I told him to sod off. I got to the wonky door and gave it a welly and it came apart. I was shitting bricks. The manager was pissed off and made a right faff about it all. I went to the hole in the wall nearby to get 300quid so I could shut his gob. I was well skint after that and couldn't go for a mosey as planned. I was miffed and cream-crackered when I got home and decided to pull a sickie. I then had a shower before finally hitting the sack.

I know it's not the greatest of compositions... You give me some!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

did u compile that list yourself ? if u did .. u r soo britonised .. i dun understand half of it .. lol .... Oh blimey =D

7:04 AM  
Blogger noodles said...

Jason: these are amongst the few vocabs that has been either used on me or to me about others in which my immediate response was 'WHaaaaat??'

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brits live in a whole new world...

10:02 AM  
Blogger noodles said...

Kington: Tell me about it

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home